Sunday, June 23, 2013

Strawberry Days 2013

Strawberry Days are my favorite of the summer days up here in Utah! I really love this about where we live, it is very small town feel. On Friday night Cory asked me to go with her to cut strawberries. Her ward got the assignment and she was having trouble finding anyone to go. So I said I would go and cut, even though I had no idea what that entailed! We got to the Lion's Club building in PG at around 4:30 (we were late) and all we had to do was cut off the tops of strawberries! Of course there were thousands and thousands of strawberries! We sat down at a table and got to work. We met really nice people and just sat and talked while cutting off the tops of all of these yummy strawberries that we didn't get to eat. They were for the famous PG Strawberries N' Cream that they sell at the fair and the rodeo! All of Strawberry Days is ran on a Volunteer basis! I guess every year a few liquor companies come to them offering to do ALL the work all they have to do is let them sale liquor at the rodeo and fair. PG says no every year and so they have find people from the community and surrounding communities to help out! I love this, it gives us as a community the opportunity to work together, and it keeps the liquor companies out of our events. A couple of years ago Josh went and worked at the Rodeo and loved it. Of course he got to eat as many burgers as he wanted so that might be the reason he liked it so much!   
This is my hand after I washed it! The red was there for only a day but it took a few washes to get out!
This is just ONE of the Many trash cans that got filled up with our tops!  My hands hurt so much after the few hours that I was there but it was fun. Adam came at the end and took my place so I didn't feel so bad leaving Cory there alone! I don't know how long Cory and Adam stayed but they kept going! It is definitely something that I would like to do again!
The next morning was the parade! We were very sad that the Gurney's weren't there this year, being on a family trip I guess I can let that go! But we did get Hannah, one of the office secretaries, and her husband and friend to come and join us. The girls were so excited to have them come they demanded they sit right next to Hannah!
Adam came with the kids which made it that much better! The parade is always more fun to watch with the more kids you have with you!
After we got our traditional corndogs and nachos! And ate on the grass before Josh went down the street to the car show while I took the girls to ride some rides!
The girls are getting SO big that they are no longer wanting to ride the"baby" rides as they call them now. I remember when they would think those "baby" rides were the BIG rides! They got to go on about 4 or 5 rides before we were out of tickets and I was tired! 
 I am sad that Strawberry Days are over but I guess there is next year to look forward to!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Utah small towns really know how to party. They are a little bit better than the parade we have in Vale - right! (maybe not as entertaining with people fainting and almost getting run over) haha. That is a lot of strawberries!!

    ReplyDelete