Friday, November 16, 2012

Thanksgiving Came Early!

I am one of the head room moms for Elizabeth's class this year. At the beginning of the year there was two of us that came to the room mom meeting and none of us wanted to be the head room mom so we compromised and decided we would share the responsibility. We divided up the class parties so that we were in charge of every other party. I got Thanksgiving. However it didn't look like we were going to have a class Thanksgiving party. Last week Elizabeth's teacher told me she was going to do it with a couple of other 3rd grade classes and that she wasn't going to need much help. I thought GREAT...however on this Tuesday after school I went into talk to her and she said that that plan fell through and that if it was ok can we have our own class party and could it be on FRIDAY! I think my eyes went WIDE and then I heard myself say, "Ok, let me see what I can do!" WHAT a couple of days to get a party together and get parents to come into the class to help me....well I sent out emails and asked parents to take pitty on me and they did! So this is Elizabeth's party....

 Elizabeth and some of her friends...I don't know what is up with her smile but maybe we need to start working on taking pictures...but then it just wouldn't be Elizabeth!
 
The party was set up with four rotations then at the end we came together for our Thanksgiving feast! One of the stations was pin the feathers on the turkey! I had one of the dads that came in to help run this station, I thought I would save him from running the crafty station and give him the only game! I forgot a blind fold which is essential to the game, of course, so we used Miss Bracey's scarf! The dad wrapped all the kids up in this scarf, it was really funny.
I also made the give thanks sign on the board, it was so much fun to make and I thought it was cute!
My mom came and helped me and ran the Thanksgiving Story Bracelet station. I found this on Pinterest, of course, and thought it was cute. It is a story of the first Thanksgiving and they make this bracelet to go with it. Josh thought it was too girly to make the boys make a bracelet, but you know they loved it! My mom said that one little girl came up to her and told her this was the best day EVER!
 So my mom read the story to them then they made the bracelet after.
The next station was the Blessings Mix. Yes I got this off of Pinterst too...actually I got all of my crafts and games off of Pinterest. I printed each of the kids out one of these cards and they made their mix out of these things. They talked about each of the items and what they mean to Thanksgiving. Half the kids had their mixes eaten before we were done!
The last station was the suitcase station. I made them each a suitcase and in it they wrote what they would bring with them on the Mayflower if they could only take this suitcase. It was VERY interesting to see what kids wrote and drew. Some of the kids you thought WOW they thought of some really thoughtful things...then there were the kids, like mine, that you just shook your head and walked away!
 After we did all the stations we came together for our feast. I made a turkey for the occasion...
It was filled with popcorn and the kids LOVED it! We also had cupcakes and cookies and they of course ate their blessing mix.
I think for a couple of days prep I did alright! The kids had fun and Elizabeth was so happy I was there. It really was a lot easier then it may look....all I have to say is thank goodness for Pinterest and letting me use other people's ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment