Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Kennecott Copper Mine

Last week Heather Anderson had the idea to take all the kids to see the Kennecott Copper Mine. Personally I never heard of it. And after I got over all the looks of "What kind of Utahan are you to not know about this", we were off to the mine! We took 3 cars of kids and followed each other out there. Kennecott is one of the largest copper mines in the world, apparently you can see it from space! This is a picture of all the kids right when we got there.

 This is a giant tire from one of the work vehicles they use to move the dirt.
 They had those binoculars that you pay 0.25 cents to look through so you can see the big hole. All of the kids of course wanted to see through them. Luckily I had just put a bunch of quarters in my purse, and that is how I became a hero, yeah it doesn't take a whole lot for kids!




 And this is what they all got so excited to see...this is the big hole!

Inside the visitor's center we got to learn all about the mine. It was really interesting, but I love that kind of stuff! There was a movie that everyone watched about the mine. I stayed out with the babies and read all the stuff on the walls. The kids got to look at all the different rocks and minerals that come out of the mine.
Afterwards the girls and I hit the gift shop. Nana gave the girls each some money for a souvenir. We are suckers for some good souvenirs! The girls each picked out a pocket knife with Kennecott name on it...I don't know why but they have been abscessed with having a pocket knife! And Elizabeth of course bought a new rock for her collection! I got a set of copper hair clips for the girls, because of course we went to a copper mine you have to get something copper...I have got to work on these girls and the right way to buy a souvenir! But they were happy by the end and we had a fun day at the mine! Now we are just waiting for Heather's next field trip...I can't wait to see where we go next!

No comments:

Post a Comment