Monday, July 28, 2014

Temple To Temple 5k Run/Walk

This all started a month or so ago when sitting in church they announced this Pioneer Day 5k that sounded fun. They said that it was from the old Provo temple to the new Provo temple and the thing that really clinched the deal was they said that it was down hill the whole way! I thought that it would be fun to do this. I asked Cory if she wanted to do it with me and then it just snowballed. We signed the kids up next and then my mom even said that she wanted to do it with us! I couldn't believe it but yes.
Since it was a Pioneer Day race they asked us to pick ancestors to run for.  So the Sunday before the race we had a family home evening and we talked about our ancestors. We all picked a person that we wanted to run for and the kids got to learn a little bit about that ancestor.  I got shirts for all the kids and got on my computer and made shirts with the ancestors that they picked on the back of them so that they could have that ancestor with them when they ran.  Each of us adults picked a kid to partner with so that we didn't have any missing kids. There was like 10,000 people that participated in this event and we didn't need to have a kid go missing. Cory took Elizabeth and they finished the race first in about 30 mins. I took Abby and lets just say we finished the race. There was a LOT of whining and telling me she was tired and are we there yet? But we did it. Adam had the boys and my mom had Miss Pud who I hear talked Nana's legs off! I was so proud of everyone for finishing and participating in this fun morning. It was amazing to see all the people run/walk this 5k with everyone's ancestors on their shirts. What a fun way to celebrate Pioneer Day!  
We ended the morning with a family trip to IHop! Yep we sure do know how to ruin a good work out! I can't wait until next year because yes we are doing this again!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this! But anything to do with family history gets me excited. So proud of all my girls for doing this and finishing for an ancestor.

    ReplyDelete