Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Last FHE In 2012

New Years Eve this year landed on a Monday, so for our Family Home Evening I wanted to have my family set some Resolutions. We have never been much of resolution setters in the past, in fact I don't know if we have ever really written any down since Josh and I have been married. I grew up with parents that were big goal setters and we as kids were encouraged to write down our goals every year. I think that as an adult I stopped making New Year Resolutions because I didn't seem to ever keep them, or I would set such long term goal that I never would see the end of them. I must be having my "AH-HA" Moment because I now understand the importance of setting goals and writing them down, and teaching your children to be goal setters. And Josh says, "When mom has an "AH-HA" moment EVERYONE is going to have it to!" Which he is right, ready or not we are all going to set some goals and learn how to be a goal setting people!!!
So of course I went onto my favorite website Pinterest and looked up some ideas to do with kids. I found this printout that we all filled out. It first goes through the past year and then looking forward to the next year. I made everyone fill this paper out including my mom and I am going to keep it in a book so that we can look back on what we did in 2012. We continued with a lesson on the importance of goal setting and how to set a goal.
You first write it down...then I think the most important part is that you make a plan on how you are going to accomplish that goal, because if you don't have a plan it is just something written on a piece of paper. The girls thought about what they wanted to accomplish and wrote down their goals. Then today we are making our plans on how each of us are going to accomplish each of our goals. It was a really fun activity and I have great hopes that we are going to be successful on accomplishing our goals as individuals and as a family. 
As a treat I found this too on Pinterest, they are called Resolution Cookies. I made sugar cookies from scratch and the frosting then we frosted on our Resolutions for the year then we ate them. I do have to say I worked half the day on these and they look cute but they did not taste too good!!! I was so sad I now need to find a better recipe for sugar cookies!!! Oh well I guess EVERYTHING can't always turn out amazing!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas. You shouldn't have told us because the cookies look awesome. We would have also thought they tasted good too. teehee Good thing you wrote the goals on paper also. Once eaten I would totally forget what I had written. Pinterest wins again.

    ReplyDelete