Monday, August 3, 2009

Thirty Days Of Turning Thirty

This year I turned 30. I’ve been sort of excited to turn 30. I know that most women stop aging at 29 but I never have felt that way. I’ve never really wanted to make a big deal about my birthdays. I’m the type of person that is not completely comfortable with too much focus on me. I’ve never had the desire for a big party with lots of people, or an entire day focused on me. For some reason it’s ingrained in my mind that that is just plain selfish. However, turning 30 just seemed like a reason to celebrate or do something big. I thought and thought about what I wanted to do. I have heard about people making lists of the things they wanted to do before they turned 30. Such as jumping out of a plane, or…you know come to think of it most of the things included jumping out or off of something. Since I’m not of fan of the sensation of falling, I’m afraid of Splash Mountain at Disneyland, I couldn’t come up with anything that I wanted to do to usher in this big event in my life. As the time got closer to my birthday I would go back and forth with doing something or not doing something. I can really talk myself out of anything. To be expected I decided that all I wanted was a nice dinner at home with my family and not to have to clean up anything! That, as most mothers would agree would be the perfect day!

My wonderful big sister however knew better. The day of my birthday came and Cory handed me my gift. And the card read, “And thus the thirty days of 30 have begun! On the 1st day of 30, your sweet sister gave to you…A book…which the author autographed personally to you!” Each day after that there was a gift and a note…On the ___ day of 30, your sweet sister gave to you… Each gift was a little something that either I really like or that she really liked and wanted to share with me. Cory truly wanted to make my birthday special and she did it with flying colors. It’s not that I have gotten a gift each day for 30 days or that she spent an absence amount of money on me, its that she took time out of her busy life, and its pretty busy, to do something to make it known that I’m special to her. She would not let my 30th birthday just pass by without giving me the big event that I, like a child, secretly wished would happen. I love you Cory and am truly grateful that you are my sister. I know that we have not always seen eye to eye and that we may not of always understand each others “personal view points”, but I know that we love each other and will always be there for one another. Thank you Cory for my “Big Event” and helping me turn 30.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is amazing. Good job Cory. Carrie you are very lucky to have such a fun and thoughtful sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sister is awesome! 30 is huge, you're old!!! jk. thanks for sharing a couple of your cookies from your "thirty days of turning 30!"

    PS Cory, I'll let you know when I'm turning 30, I'll give you a couples months notice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do give me notice...cuz man...even I was stretched on the creativity front!
    Care...it's like the Loreal slogan says..."Because You're Worth IT!"

    ReplyDelete