Thursday, August 27, 2009

1st Day of School

Elizabeth is finally starting her first day of Kindergarten today! Last night we picked out the outfit that she wanted to wear today and got it all ready for school today. We got all of her school supplies ready and placed them in her backpack (AGAIN, because she had gotten it all ready the day we bought the school supplies). She was so excited that she woke up early and was ready 45 minutes before the bus would even get here. I made her breakfast, (I know what your thinking and no that most likely will not be happening on a regular basis!) and we sat in the front room for a while. I gave Elizabeth a charm braclet for her first day with a hello kitty angel charm on it. I told her that this was going to be her gaurdian angel that would help her be safe. She seemed to really like that. As we sat in the front room I asked her if she had everything she needed and she said, "I don't know mom let me check...notebook...check...school poster....check, check...school supplies....check, check, check...Yep mom I have everything!" She then couldn't wait any longer and she went outside to wait for the bus! We waited and waited, because we were so early, and finally kids were starting to walk out to the bus stop, which is only a few houses down from ours. We walked down there and waited some more. I was the mom taking picture after picture of my sweet little girl waiting with the other children. Then the bus came and I started to get really nervous! She had no nerves and just jumped right in line and didn't even look back at me to get onto the bus. Another neighbor and I drove behind the bus just to make sure she could find her class when she got to school, and I'm so happy I did so because when the bus got to the school there was no one to show the new kindergarten kids where to go! So I took her to her class and made sure that she could find it. She ran straight into the classroom after the teacher opened the door and never looked back at me. That I think might have been when the tears started to come. I know I know I didn't think that this would be such a big deal! Abby and I came home and have been waiting for Elizabeth's bus to come. Abby has been waiting off and on outside to watch for the bus. The bus that takes the kids home from morning school forgot a class and had to turn around so they were about 30 mins. or so late dropping them off. Thankfully another mom drove by and told me and another mom waiting that the bus would be late.

After asking my 20 questions to Elizabeth about how school was, I got that they played and had recess and sang songs, oh and that you can bring snacks with you for recess time to eat. I don't know if any learning has happened just yet. Of course we are just on the first day...we'll see if her answers change as the year goes on!

When she came home she did ask when she will be going back to school and I told her tomorrow and she got excited and said, "Oh, I'll have to pick out another outfit!" Yes that's my girl!

3 comments:

  1. How appropriate - picking out the outfit is the most important part of school! She must take after her mom on the first day of school and not her dad. His first day was quite a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mothers instint! I am so glad you followed behind her bus...I can't believe no one was there to take the kids to their class!! Her outfit is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm a little confused... did you switch her to morning Kindergarten? I LOVE her dress, and the bracelet idea is so cute... and do you see now why I"m paranoid and drive my kids to school?! Oh well, she'll get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete