Friday, May 23, 2014

I DID IT!

At the beginning of this year I decided that I wanted to run a 5K...I know crazy. When I told Josh he kind of just shook his head and I don't think believed me that my body would get me there. I started off slow...well very slow. I started off just walking. Yes my body couldn't even make it a mile walking, and on some days I could move just fine then the very next day not at all. This made it hard to train for anything. I would get up to "running", I call it running but lets be honest its more like jogging, then the next day couldn't move anymore and I would have to start all over again with training my body to "run" again. This pretty much went on the whole 4 months of training, but I had hope. I had been feeling pretty good and knew that if I just suffered through the painful moments that I could complete this goal of mine. Even though this body of mine doesn't always...well lets just say never really works the way I want it to...come May 10th I was ready. Some friends of ours were having a charity 5K run. They are adopting a sweet baby boy from China and lets just say adopting is expensive! I kind of looked at this run as a practice for the big 5k on July 4th that I plan to run with my sister, but I got to say for a practice 5K I was SO nervous. I had a dream the night before that I was the very last person to come in, and not only the last, so last that everyone was packed up and ready to leave but was just waiting for me to finish! I was also worried that I would have to do this early in the morning and I don't move so well early in the morning. But I did it!!! And I wasn't the last person. I completed the 5K in about 40 minutes. I know I'm not breaking any records but for me and this body of mine that was a record. After, I slept for the rest of the day and couldn't move so fast for a few days but I think it was all worth it. I feel good that I accomplished something that is very hard for me. Some friends of mine took some pictures of the day, which I'm am so grateful for.
When we got there to help set up I helped give out the bibs for the 1K/fun run. The girls participated in 1K/fun run. They were excited to get those bibs pined on them, but I don't know how excited they were to actually run it!
This is a picture of Elizabeth running. Both the girls did so good in their race. I was proud of them for doing this.
This is Elizabeth's school teacher. She came to run the 5K. I "ran" with her for a while but couldn't keep up with her speed. Josh came to help cook the pancake breakfast, well and eat the pancake breakfast also. The best way to get Josh to participate in an event is to feed him!
When I was about done and coming into the finish Josh had the girls holding up signs that they made for me and was there to cheer me on.  I was SO tired by that point but all the cheers really did help me finish. And when I saw the timer I wanted to come in at 40 minutes so I increased my speed just a bit to make it.
I went to my Rheumatologist the other day and told him about my 5K and he was amazed. He doesn't know how I'm still moving as well as I am. And even though he is not sure how long this is going to last, he wasn't thinking it was going to last too much longer, I am looking forward to my next 5K on July 4th. I mean I already registered so I kind of have to do it. So here is to hoping that this body works for a little longer! And Thank you Josh for supporting me in my crazy ideas! 

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is awesome that you would not only think of doing this but actually do it!! Proud of you and the girls for running and of course Josh for eating. Good luck with the 5K in July.

    ReplyDelete