Friday, July 26, 2013

The Gathering Of The Tippetts!

Instead of going up to Oregon this year to Grandpa Ford's farm we all gathered just outside Cedar City and invaded Noelle's parent's cabin! Josh, Elizabeth and I only could go for less then 24 hours (From Friday night to Saturday late evening, but it was worth the drive. Josh and I had some obligations that we couldn't get out of and Trudy said that we could leave the girls there with them until they came back up on Tuesday. Elizabeth had her BIG orthodontist appointment to get her braces off on Tuesday morning. I told her I would change her appointment to another day so that she could stay, but she looked at me VERY SERIOUS and stated that this was a VERY EXCITING time in her life and she couldn't put it off! So we gave Abby the choice to stay and she said she was going to be a big girl and stay. We all kept asking her over and over if she was going to stay, because this kid can't even be out of my sight if her sister isn't with her, but she insisted that she would be fine! So she stayed! I am happy that she got to stay but let me tell you Elizabeth was SO very sad she was alone. That by Tuesday she was telling me that she was glad that I had two kids and that she wishes Abby came home with us! And by Tuesday I was so very glad I had two kids because Elizabeth was driving me CRAZY (to put it nicely)!
We left Orem at 4:30pm on Friday and had planned on being at the cabin by around 7:30pm not much later then that (factoring in bathroom brakes and all) Jason gave Josh directions and Josh also printed some directions out from google. Now to put it nicely, Josh has absolutely NO directional skills at all. And to make matters worse they had just changed the street signs that morning to the cabin and changed some of the names so.....translations we were lost on top of a mountain (literally) for a few hours. Our first of many mistakes was taking directions from a guy holding a can of Bud Lite and it probably wasn't his first one either! Then our second mistake, once again of many was taking a "road" that wasn't made for any car to drive on let alone Josh's truck! We ended up on a four wheeler road up a mountain that made all of us want to close our eyes while seeing how close we were to the edge of the mountain. Finally around 10pm or so and down from the top of the mountain Josh was getting tired the girls were half asleep and Josh made a comment that he was going to start running stop signs and maybe a cop would pull him over so we could find out where we were. (Oh did I mention there was no cell service so we couldn't call for help) By the second sign run through our prayers were answered and a cop pulled us over. He came up to the truck and said, "So you going to stop at the next sign right?" And all we could say was Yes if you tell us where we are!!! He kind of laughed and we told our whole story and he took pitty on us and knew exactly where we needed to go. With no ticket and new directions we found our way there! The funny thing is we were SO close to the cabin if they hadn't changed the names of the streets we could of made it there! But we got there and pretty much went right to sleep we were SO tired!!!
The next morning we had breakfast and were off to see the caves! I took so many pictures and these are just a few of them....
A few people brought up four wheelers and they were one of the highlights for the kids!
Curly would always stop and pose for a picture for me. I must have about a dozen pictures of just this kid!
On the way to the caves most all of  the kids and a few of the big kids jumped in the back of the truck to drive over. They sang songs at the top of their lungs and gave cheers to every passer by that we came across. I think that they had a lot of fun back there. I can't imagine that it was comfortable though!
So there were these caves that you had to climb in underground. Everyone had their own flashlight and we all went into the first cave, except for Mark, Grandpa, Dave and Denise (I think everyone else went). I thought of I can just walk though a cave, maybe with a little help from Josh no problem....well at first it was easy no big deal, then the cave got slippery and wet and MUDDY! My foot slipped into the mud my shoe got caught and my foot came out and landed right in the mud. So for the rest of the way I walked in the cold mud with one shoe on and one shoe off. Then the cave started getting smaller and smaller. We all had mud from head to toe! And yes Josh, Elizabeth and I had only this one outfit and no others to change into because we were going home. At one point I didn't think I was going to be able to fit through a spot and my rang of movement isn't what it used to be, but with a little push from someone behind me, (thank you by the way) I got through and then it was Trudy's turn and she was saying she wasn't going to make it through, but I said if I got through it she could do it too.  It was a lot of fun. After that cave though I was done and sat while the others went into a few more caves!
I made all of the couples come out to this beautiful overlook to take pictures. Some of the brothers were more willing then others!
 Then we got Caleigh to take a picture of all of us, we are sad that we are missing Jeremy and Laura they didn't get up there until that evening!
And yes this shot was one of the boys ideas I think. And man I didn't think my butt was that big, I really have to do something about that!
Us all muddy and happy!
When we got back to the cabin the boys took some of the kids for rides around the cabin! 
After lunch we all went out again and this time we went to what was called the swinging trees. I really don't know how healthy this is for the trees but it was fun for all the kids and also some of the big kids too!
By the time we got back from the swinging trees Jeremy and Laura arrived.  
Uncle Sally had the kids all chanting this cheer together! Needless to say the kids LOVED it!
We made the kids get together and take a picture. These are ALL the Tippetts grandkids!
Then of course we had to take one of everyone! 
Soon after Josh, Elizabeth and I left for home. Abby stayed and she says she had the best time. I guess there was one melt down about shoes being dirty but other then that she was good without us. I am hoping to get some of the pictures from those few days while we weren't there. Even though our time was short there we had so much fun and are so thankful for Dave and Denise for letting us invade their space for a while!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures and commentary. Abby did great and was as perfect angel (as usual). Thanks for letting her stay with us. We are all so glad she stayed. Maybe next time you can all stay longer. We missed you. Thanks for helping me get through the caves. I'm old and it was tough but fun. Many fun memories from this gathering.

    ReplyDelete