Thursday, December 12, 2013

Worlds Worst Christmas 2013!

According to Elizabeth this is the Worlds Worst Christmas EVER, and it's only the 13th of the month! This is what I had hanging on my clock on my desk this morning....
....Can you say dramatic! To really explain I will need to go back to the beginning of the school year. When Elizabeth wanted to play orchestra. None of us in this house really wanted her to do orchestra, because of the delightful person she becomes when you dare to ask her to practice ANYTHING! And I personally didn't want to fight with the kid, but she insisted that she wanted to, so Josh made the stipulation that she would have to have her Viola as her Christmas gift as well, so NOTHING for Christmas. So of course being a kid she agreed! Ok fast forward to December when the reality of NO Christmas gifts come into play (oh by the way I'm not that mean and did get her Christmas gifts, much to Josh's protests not to!)
Oh wait it gets worst... So Elizabeth is 9 she will be 10 in February and is in 4th grade. Most if not ALL of the kids in her class no longer believe in Santa. I didn't really think that she still believed....Oh was I ever wrong! So this Tuesday I went Visiting Teaching and we were talking about when their children learned about Santa not being real, so it was on my mind when later that day I was sitting in the car waiting for Abby to get out of piano just talking. And the subject of Santa came up! Elizabeth asked me if he was really real! The thoughts went through my head...How long do I keep lying to this kid....my stories keep getting bigger and bigger...She is probably old enough to know the truth....kids are going to start making fun of this kid that insists that Santa is real, then I will be blamed for not telling her earlier... So, I told her the truth! And Oh my goodness the tears they came coming! Apparently I was wrong in my previous thought that she really didn't believe because WOW she did! So then she started putting two and two together and realized that EVERYTHING was not real! The list so far includes the Toothfairy, The Easter Bunny, The Leprechaun that comes and brings them stuff, and pretty much any talking animals, toys that talk and all fairy tales! She was so hysterical that I ended up taking her to see Josh at work and her talked to her and of course he was mad at me, apparently I was supposed to keep lying to her! Later she told me that I have RUINED HER CHILDHOOD! So now she is going through the 5 stages of grief! We have been through...denial, we are at ANGER and hopeful we will get to acceptance! Well I guess this is just one more thing that she can tell her therapist when she gets older, The Christmas that I ruined her childhood and CHRISTMAS!
P.S. She told me that we should not tell Abby because she deserves a happy childhood...but she is also upset and told my mom that she doesn't like keeping things from Abby they tell each other EVERYTHING...so what it comes down to is that I am also ruining their relationship...Man I feel like mother of the year right now....I should of just kept lying to the kid!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What do you mean there isn't a Santa? Carrie, you have just ruined my adulthood. But I won't tell Mark because I don't want to ruin his adulthood. Glad I read this late because by the time Christmas comes next year, I will have forgotten and all will be well. Unfortunately, I think Elizabeth has a much better memory than I do. She is just too cute and such a good sister to take care of Abigail.

    ReplyDelete