Friday, February 8, 2013

Little Girl Book Club Second Go Around!

Tonight we had our second little girl book club meeting. This time it was at our house. The book was Anne of Green Gables. I have been dragging my feet on getting this done. We finished the book a while ago and I just didn't know what to do. Amy set the bar a little too high with her WONDERFUL first meeting, so naturally I felt I had to do something other then just have the girls come over to talk about the book. (Have I thanked you for that yet Amy?)  I have also been VERY tired and VERY busy, and not to mention a little crabby these last few weeks and have more things on my plate to come in this month, (I am really starting to dislike the month of February!) that I figured lets just get this out of the way before I cancel the whole idea of little girl book club....I know terrible mother, but I did warn you I have been crabby!
I loved how Amy centered her night around the books theme. So I tried to think of the book and one of my favorite parts is the tea that Anne puts on for Diana with the Raspberry Cordial that she thinks she is serving but gives her the wine instead. So we had a tea party for our book club night. I even had Raspberry Cordial (it was Raspberry Lemon Aid but I called it Cordial). When I told my girls that we were going to have Raspberry Cordial Elizabeth got REALLY worried and said, "Um...mom is it healthy for us...?" She was thinking I was going to get them all drunk like Anne did!!! I love this kid. I laughed and told her it wasn't wine and she could drink it, but I am happy to know that I have a kid that will keep me straight!!! 
We ate cookies from Smart Cookie, and chocolate bread from Kneaders, and a cinnamon bread from the store. I put a pretty table cloth on the table and used some of my mom's fancy plates and glasses and made it pretty. The girls helped set up the table with me. They really liked being apart of the getting ready process.
While we ate I had typed up some questions about the book for the girls to answer, like, Who was your favorite character...and things like that. We talked about the book for a short time, then I had them make friendship bracelets, because the whole theme of the book I thought was about great friends. This however didn't go over too well. Friendship bracelets take a long time and you need kids that have a longer attention span then mine. I did find it interested that the two younger kids lasted longer then the two older kids! So note to self if you do an activity at these little girl book clubs make it short and simple...basically something a preschooler might think is fun!!!
The Little Andersen's have not yet told us what our next book is yet but we are very excited to find out and get started on it, and then come together to talk about it!! I have noticed that my girls are learning to LOVE to read and have a bigger desire to find books that they like. Even at parent teacher conference this week Elizabeth's teacher commented on how dramatically she has changed in her attitude about reading and I know it is because of doing this book club. Even though it is not always easy to put on one of these I find that the benefit out weighs everything else! So I say...on with the next book....

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! What an exciting way to get kids to love reading. Yes, you must keep those refreshments "legal". haha Love the follow through questions and discussion. Can't wait to hear what your next book is. Happy reading! The benefits are so important.

    ReplyDelete