Sunday, September 4, 2011

Aurora, Colorado

The city of Aurora Colorado has become Josh and my top destinations to travel to lately. We seem to take all of our vacations there. Back in August we went back there to visit Dr. Oro again to see if he could do anything about my leg problems. I was really nervous, I wanted him to just say yes Carrie I know exactly what your problem is and I can fix it! And of course I would like it be done all magically too! It has NEVER been that easy for me in the past, however I found that this time was different. Dr. Oro basically said just that. He told us that he was completely sure that I did have tethered cord syndrome and that he could fix it, not magically which I would have gone for but that I would just need a surgery on my lower back and I would have a 2 out of 3 chance that my legs would be perfectly fine, along with a number of other symptoms that I have been living with would also be taken care of. As soon as he told us this there was just a huge weight taken off my shoulders. I felt completely at peace about going through another surgery. Of course I wasn't too excited about the idea of going through another recovery, but he told me it would be easier than brain surgery, so I didn't have to give it another thought, I was in! We got scheduled for September 1, 2011 for the surgery date. As the date came closer I did get a little nervous. I don't know how Josh lives with me and my back and forth of yes I want to do this to no I don't want to do this. Josh patiently just smiles at me and lets me go through this battle with myself. We left for Aurora on Tuesday August 30,2011. We waited until Abby got home from her first day of school because I couldn't leave my baby without seeing how she did at school as a big girl. We didn't drive to whole 9 hour drive all at once we stopped in Vale, Co. for the night. My nervousness was still causing me to go back and forth on whether or not I wanted to do this still, yes I know I have issues but whats one to do about it. We got to Aurora on the afternoon of August 31,2011 I had an appointment at Dr. Oro's office and we went over to the hospital to do labs and check in...4 hours later I was ready for the next day. Now on Tuesday I had broken my glasses and couldn't see anything real clear, and on the morning to the surgery as we are going to the hospital we got a flat tire. Which Josh had to change while I tried to help but just got in the way. By this point I was starting to think that these were some sort of signs that maybe nothing was going to work out. Josh once again just smiled at me and drove me to the hospital. It has been 4 days now since my surgery and I am out of the hospital and sitting in the hotel room feeling pretty good. Now I don't think I will be running around and my walking is more like a slow waddle, but I feel good. Dr. Oro said that while he was in there he found the tether and cut it away from the vertebra, and he tested all the nerves for my legs and they ALL responded! He was VERY positive about my recovery. I have learned the the medicines prescribed to me are not just a suggestion you need to take them or you begin to hurt really bad. I am figuring out my meds. and think that my recovery will go good. I'm VERY positive about the outcome....Of course I just took two pain pills a few minutes ago and find that I'm positive about everything after taking them...
One thing that was really neat before I went into surgery was that Josh and I were waiting in the pre-op area to go back and the nurse came up to us and asked if we were LDS. She had seen that we were from Utah. We said yes, and she continued to tell us how much she loves Glen Beck and then she asked us if it was ok if she prayed for me. I said yes and she took my hand and said a prayer for me and for Josh. It was so touching that she would want to help comfort me and offer a prayer for Josh and I. I have been so blessed in my life. I am so grateful for all the people in my life and for the prayers and support that Josh and I have gotten.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you have had a lot of prayers on your behalf (and Josh's). I am so glad you went through with it and know that you are going to feel better than you have in years. Just do what they say (even though I am not a Dr. fan).

    ReplyDelete