Tuesday, December 23, 2014

An Education Into Our Heritage

At the beginning of the school year Josh volunteered me to give a presentation for Elizabeth's 5th grade class on the Mohawk Indians. For a man that wanted me to spend less time at the school he sure sends some mixed signals...but anyway about a month ago was the presentation. I recruited my sister Cory to help me. She is a fabulous dancer and is also great at speaking the language. It was a lot of fun and I'm very happy that we did this. We dressed Elizabeth up in Cory's full Mohawk dress and I taught the kids the history part and Cory taught them how to say a few words in Mohawk. Then we took them down to the cafeteria to teach them how to Fancy Dance like an Indian. The kids had the most fun doing this. I took some pictures on my phone because dummy me forgot the camera!
Every kid had a beach towel to help them dance we even brought my dad's head dress to let the kids try on. I made a fancy shawl for Cory to dance with to let the kids see what one looks like.
This is the shawl I made I even hand beaded it. My mom helped me sew it together, so it was a joint project. That week we had a family home evening with all the kids and family to teach them what we taught Elizabeth's class. We learned about the Mohawk Indians and their history. Cory taught them how to say a few words in Mohawk and then it was dancing time!
It was a fun night to teach this next generation about a part of them. I do believe Dad would of LOVED this!

No comments:

Post a Comment