Monday, August 16, 2010

Colorado

Josh and I flew up to Colorado on Sunday evening, to see the doctor on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Josh held my hand through the whole thing. We really liked Dr. Oro and everyone in his office. All the girls in the office even thought Josh was funny so you know they were really nice to put up with some of his jokes! So here it is in a nutshell of what we found out...
Dr. Oro does not feel that my leg problem is really caused by the Chiari. He feels that it is Tethered Cord Syndrome. TCS is basically once again I didn't fully develop in my mom and my spinal cord is too tight and doesn't move properly causing a bunch of problems including my legs not always working. And apparently where the doctor feels I have it, it is very rare and almost imposable to see in an MRI. So to fix this I would have to do surgery on my lower back. Now I can't do both surgeries at the same time. And the doctor feels that if we do the lower back first it could cause more problems with the Chiari. So we decided to take care of the Chiari first and, cross your fingers, maybe it will relieve enough pressure off my spinal cord to help it move better. If not he said that within 6 months to a year if my legs are still not working I will need to go in for the lower back surgery. I scheduled the Chiari surgery for August 26. That was the soonest he could get me in. Josh and I will drive up on the 24 so that we can be there for my pre-op on the 25. I've decided to be in a study of there's so I will also have to take a few tests, mostly dealing with my memory or lack of. The surgery will take a few hours, I don't know exactly, they keep saying everyone is different! I will spend 24 hours after surgery in ICU then a few days, if everything goes perfect, in the hospital. So if everything goes as planned with no complications I will spend any where from 5-7 days in the hospital! Then Josh will drive me home. My parents will fly up and be there with us for most of the time, which I'm happy they will, when we got to Colorado on Sunday the first day I started crying and Josh asked me what was wrong and I said I just wanted my mom. He of course laughed at me and said it was a good thing they decided to come for the surgery.
Now I know at first glance this may not all sound like I have the best of luck! But really this is a blessing. I have been diagnosed with all things that CAN be fixed! It just might take a little longer and cost a little more with multiple surgeries, sorry Josh!

3 comments:

  1. oh Carrie.... I love you girl. I'm glad the surgery is just around the corner. We loved having your girls here while you were gone. One night ET was struggling and crying for her Mom also (at least we could bribe her with Lagoon!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy that you have something that can be "fixed". The 26th is so soon that it will be here before you know it. Wish we could be there to help you, but you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so worth all the money and time! I am so glad these are things that can be fixed. I wish I was closer so I could help out with things. You will continue to be in our prayers. We love you.

    ReplyDelete